Green Juice 101
You might be noticing that green juices are everywhere these days. For all of the hype, drinking a green juice really is one of the best things you can do for your body. It’s a straight shot of nutrients, minerals, and live enzymes - helping to increase energy, aid digestion, and boost your immune system.
But not all green juices are created equal. And with the often hefty price tag, you want to be getting the most bang for your buck. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when visiting your favorite juice bar:
- Green vegetables (think leafy greens like kale & spinach) should be the star of the show.
- Try to have only one fruit and/or one citrus per juice. Maybe it’s apple and lemon. Or watermelon and lime. An all fruit juice might be tempting, but you’ll get way more benefits (and way less sugar!) if you favor the greens.
- Spice it up. Ginger is amazing for your metabolism and turmeric has been used as an anti-inflammatory for centuries. Subtle added flavor with extra perks!
- Know your ingredients. Are you looking for something more hydrating? A juice with cucumber will be a good pick. Wanting more of a detox? Be a little daring and look for a juice with beets. Not sure what does what? Just ask!
- Keep it fresh. With so many bottled juice options, try to stay away from ones that have been treated with high pressure processing (HPP). This treatment allows juices to stay on the shelf for up to 45 days, compromising its nutritional integrity. Look for juices made on the spot, juice bars using a cold press (these juices should last 3-5 days), or make them at home!
- Drink organic. When possible, it’s worth the extra $ to know you’re getting a pesticide and chemical free juice.
- Be creative! A go-to classic is our Morning Greens – Kale, Spinach, Romaine, Cucumber, Apple, Lemon, Ginger – but with so many awesome ingredients out there, don’t be afraid to try something new, you never know what your next favorite might be :).