The great thing about fruits and vegetables is that every single one of them offers a complex system of benefits for your health. Vegetables, especially, are basically never discussed as being controversial in any diet… The more veggies the better! One of our favorites is cucumber.
Cucumbers are a low-calorie, but nutrient-rich vegetable, which contain vitamins C and A, folic acid, fiber, and many important minerals. Especially notable is the abundance of silica, a trace mineral in cucumbers that is crucial for the strength of our connective tissue, and the ability to prevent water retention and swelling.
We can all picture that iconic image of a spa day, complete with a face mask, a massage, and cucumber slices covering the eyes. And it’s not a false representation of the healing powers of cucumbers. They are extremely hydrating, both for the inside and the outside of the body. With all of these benefits, you can see why we include cucumber in so many of our juices- all of the greens juices, Recovery, and Restart (seasonal.. coming back soon!), to name a few.
We have a quick and easy recipe to share with you, one that highlights cucumbers as its main ingredient. It only takes a few minutes to make, but it’s great for you and can serve as a healthy snack or side dish for up to a week. Enjoy!
2-4 TBSP apple cider vinegar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
sprinkle of red pepper flakes
1. Pour 1-2 TBSP of apple cider vinegar over a large plate or tray with a lip.
2. As thinly as possible, slice the entire cucumber, and lay each slice out flat on the plate or tray. It’s ok if there is a 2nd layer of cucumber- just make sure to repeat steps 3 and 4 between layers.
3. Brush or gently pour on the remaining apple cider vinegar to the cucumbers.
4. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
5. Let sit for a few minutes on your counter or a few hours in the refrigerator. When ready to serve/consume, use a fork to transfer the cucumber slices into a bowl or other serving dish. And enjoy!